CLINTON, S.C. – Behind solid pitching and timely hitting, the Presbyterian College baseball team picked up the 3-0 victory over Western Carolina in the Blue Hose home opener on Wednesday afternoon at the PC Baseball Complex. Freshman Mason McDaniel tossed six scoreless innings with eight strikeouts to earn the win. PC at the plate was led by Brody Fahr with two hits and two RBIs, along with Joel Dragoo hitting a home run.
FINAL SCORE: Presbyterian 3, Western Carolina 0
LOCATION: PC Baseball Complex (Clinton, S.C.)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- PC got the offense going in the second inning with an RBI single from Fahr to give the Blue Hose an early 1-0 lead.
- In the third, the Blue Hose connected on their first homer of the 2023 season as Dragoo put one down the left-field line to push the lead to 2-0.
- The two early runs were more than enough in the early going for McDaniel as he tossed six scoreless innings with eight strikeouts to earn the victory.
- Fahr closed out the scoring for PC with an RBI single in the eighth to push the advantage to 3-0, which the Blue Hose had more than enough offense for the pitching staff on Wednesday to take the home opener.
- McDaniel was magnificent in his first college start, tossing six scoreless innings with eight strikeouts, scattering two hits, and a pair of walks in the victory.
- PC kept it up on the mound with scoreless innings from Kyle Mueller, Luke Gibson, and Tanner Smith to help preserve Wednesday's shutout.
- Fahr led the Blue Hose offensively with two hits and two of the three RBIs in the victory.
- Dragoo, Kyle Decker, and Trey Fenderson each tallied a hit in the contest.
- Decker, Jack Gorman, and Jay Wetherington have reached base safely in all four games this season for PC.
- PC continues its homestand on Friday with a 4 p.m. first pitch against Toledo. The Blue Hose are slated to welcome Northwestern on Saturday for a 2 p.m. start before Michigan State visits Clinton on Sunday at 1 p.m.