RADFORD, VA. – The Presbyterian College baseball team used the power of a 12-run ninth inning to carry the Blue Hose past Radford by the score of 17-3 on Thursday night at Sherman Carter Memorial Stadium. Junior Dalton Reeves tallied a pair of three-run homers in the victory as classmate Duncan Howard recorded a career-high nine strikeouts to pace PC on the mound.
FINAL SCORE: Presbyterian 17, Radford 3
Sherman Carter Memorial Stadium (Radford, Va.)
Presbyterian (20-33, 11-14) | Radford (9-44, 1-24)
W: Duncan Howard
(4-5) | L:
Zack Mallia (0-4) | Save: Tanner Smith
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Radford got on the board first quickly in the opening inning with a leadoff solo homer to give the hosts the early advantage.
- The Blue Hose answered the Highlanders in the second with a solo homer off the bat of Ryan Ouzts
to even the score at one after 1.5 innings.
- PC gained the lead in the third via a double steal with Kyle Decker
scampering home before a pair of Highlander wild pitches allowed the Blue Hose to take a 4-1 lead.
- The Highlanders cut into the Blue Hose lead in the fifth with a pair of runs to cut the deficit to 4-3 after five innings.
- Presbyterian pushed the lead to 5-3 with a fielder's choice off the bat of Noah Lebron
after 5.5 frames.
- The Blue Hose got busy in the ninth first with an RBI single from Brody Fahr
before Reeves connected on a three-run homer that made it 9-3.
- On the next pitch, Joel Dragoo
pushed it to 10-3 with a solo homer to left.
- Jay Wetherington
kept the bats hot with an RBI single before Jack Gorman
added one of his own that made it 12-3 PC.
- Fahr and Amman Dewberry
added RBI doubles before the offensive explosion was capped with Reeves's second three-run homer to give PC a 17-3 game one win on Thursday.
- The 12-run ninth from the Blue Hose on Thursday is the most runs scored in an inning for PC since May 2010 when 10 runs were scored in the eighth against VMI.
- Reeves helped pace the offensive attack for the Blue Hose with his second multi-homer game of the season as he tallied a career-best six RBIs in the victory. He also added a pair of homers in PC's win over Michigan State earlier this season.
- With his two homers on Thursday, Reeves moved into a tie for third in the single-season PC DI record book for homers with his 10 big flies. He's also sixth in the same record book for RBIs in a season with 44 after his career-high of six.
- Reeves is also sixth in the PC DI career record book with his 16 homers over his two seasons with Presbyterian.
- Dragoo added his eighth homer of the season as Ouzts picked up his sixth as the Blue Hose matched their season-high as a team with four homers.
- The 17 runs scored matches a season-high for PC as 17 runs were scored back on March 7 as part of a 17-11 victory over Western Michigan.
- PC picked up its 13th win of the season when scoring at least six runs which includes a perfect 6-0 mark when eclipsing the 10-run plateau.
- Reeves and Dragoo going back-to-back in the ninth is the fourth time this season the Blue Hose have had that occur including the second time by the aforementioned duo.
- Thursday marked the 13th time the Blue Hose have hit multiple homers in the same game this season.
- With his third inning steal, Decker took the top spot in the PC career DI record book with his 42nd steal as a member of the Blue Hose. Decker swiped a pair on Thursday and sits at 43 for his career with Presbyterian College.
- Junior Duncan Howard
totaled a career-high nine strikeouts en route to his fourth victory of the season for the Blue Hose. Howard moved into a tie for fifth in the DI career record book with his 14th career win for PC.
- Tanner Smith
picked up his team-high eighth save of the 2023 season with pair of scoreless innings in relief with four strikeouts. Smith moved into a tie for third in the Blue Hose single-season DI record book with his eighth save on Thursday.
- The Blue Hose and Highlanders continue their three-game series on Friday at 4 p.m. on ESPN+ from Radford.
BOX SCORE here.