Women's Wrestling's 1st Ever Victory
PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE WINS IN 3 SPORTS.
Blue Hose Women’s Wrestling Earns Program's First Victory Over Ferrum
FERRUM, Va. – The Presbyterian College women’s wrestling team earned the program’s first career victory on Saturday night as the Blue Hose earned a 29-14 win over host Ferrum at Swartz Gym.
Final Score: Gannon 40, Presbyterian 8
Final Score: Presbyterian 29, Ferrum 14
Location: Ferrum, Va.
Records: Presbyterian (1-1) | Ferrum (0-1) | Gannon (1-0)
- The Blue Hose picked up four victories over the hosts en route to the program’s first win after bouncing back from a 40-8 loss against Gannon earlier in the evening.
- PC got pins from Isabella Badon (123), Lillian Humphries (143), Morgan Norris (155) and Madajah Trapier (170) to earn the win for the Blue Hose.
- Norris also earned a win in the match against Gannon by pin.
Gannon 40, Presbyterian 8
109 – Nikoly Dos Santos (Gannon) technical dec. Cassandra Lopez (PC) 18-8
123 – Alexandra Alers (Gannon) dec. Isabella Badon (PC) 9-8
130 – Mikayla Dockweiler (Gannon) dec. Alexa Downs 8-1
136 -- Gabriella Malinowski (Gannon) pinned Hannah McElroy (PC) 1:30
143 – Morgan Norris (PC) pinned Jezebel Garcia (Gannon) 1:00
155 – Annabelle Helm (Gannon) pinned Adelyhda Perez (PC) 5:50
170 – Amara Deverices (Gannon) pinned Madajah Trapier (PC) 1:00
EXH – Lillian Humphries (PC) pinned Gabriella Malinowski (Gannon)
Presbyterian 29, Ferrum 14
109 – Cassandra Lopez win by forfeit
123 – Isabella Badon (PC) pinned Marrisa Ruiz (Ferrum) 2:00
130 – Destiny Benjamin (Ferrum) technical dec. Alexa Downs 11-0
136 – Hannah McElroy win by forfeit
143 – Lillian Humphries pinned Bailey Gilmore (Ferrum) 1:30
155 – Morgan Norris (PC) pinned Taylor Kleemoff (Ferrum) 1:15
170 –Madajah Trapier (PC) technicaldec. Talum Smith (Ferrum) 12-1
EXH – Cassandra Lopez (PC) pinned Alisha Elizalde (Ferrum)
• The Blue Hose are next on the mat for the King Duels which are set for October 26th at 9:00 a.m. in Bristol, Tennessee.
PC Volleyball Rolls Past Rattlers
CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College volleyball team hit a season-high .395 on its way to a 3-0 victory (25-9, 25-14, 25-18) over Florida A&M in its final non-conference contest of the season on Saturday afternoon.
It’s the Blue Hose third straight win, bringing their record to 8-9. FAMU drops to 3-12 on the campaign.
- Sophomore Erin Cooke notched her fifth straight double-double, racking up a match-12 kills and adding 14 assists while hitting .458.
- Junior Allie Wright pitched in eight kills and also served a pair of aces to move into fifth place in PC’s DI era (2007-present) for career aces.
- Junior Sierra Jones handed out a match-high 20 assists and chipped in six digs.
- Senior Erin Eulitz led all players with 14 digs.
How it Happened
- Leading 9-7 in the first set, the Blue Hose posted runs of 7-0 and 6-0 on the way to a 16-2 finish to the opening set.
- In the second set, Presbyterian gained separation with an 8-1 spurt to open up a 15-6 edge. FAMU could not get closer than six, as the Blue Hose seized a two-set advantage.
- PC slowly built a 14-7 lead in the third set, and again Florida A&M could not get closer than six for the remainder of the set.
- The Blue Hose never trailed at any point in the contest, and the match featured just three ties.
PC continues its eight-match homestand on Friday evening as it welcomes High Point to the Templeton Center. First serve is set for 6:00 pm.
Turcis Gives Men's Soccer 2-1 OT Win at Longwood
Farmville, Va. – The Presbyterian College men’s soccer team picked up a 2-1 overtime win over Longwood at the Longwood Athletics Complex on Saturday afternoon.
Sophomore Riccardo Turcis buried a shot from the edge of the six-yard box at 95:10 to improve the Blue Hose to 1-0 in Big South play.
Final Score: PC 2 – Longwood 1
Location: Farmville, Va. (Longwood Athletics Complex)
Records: Presbyterian College (3-8, 1-0); Longwood (4-5, 0-2)
- Mikel Abando scored from 12 yards out with a through ball from Ander Etxaniz to open the scoring.
- Turcis scored the game winner off a deflected cross that found the sophomore on the far post as he volleyed it in.
By the Numbers
- Presbyterian led in shots 12-7, and in shots on goal, 4-3. Longwood led in corners, 6-3, and in fouls, 20-14.
- Both teams earned three yellow cards each.
- Senior Ricardo Hernandez played the full 95 minutes and became the first PC player to eclipse 6000 career minutes played in the DI era.
- Pinto scored his 13th career goal and moved to within one goal of the program’s DI record.
Presbyterian College hosts Radford at Martin Stadium on Wednesday, October 9, in a 7 pm game that will be broadcast on ESPN+.