Blue Hose women back on home court
Fresh off their first Big South win against Campbell on Saturday, the Blue Hose women look to knock off Gardner-Webb on Tuesday night at the Templeton Center.
Who: Presbyterian College (4-11, 1-3 Big South) vs. Gardner-Webb (12-4, 2-2 Big South)
When: Tuesday, January 16 – 7:00 p.m.
Where: Clinton, S.C. – Templeton Center (2,500)
Watch: Big South Network
Social Media: @BlueHoseWBB
Last Time Out
- The Blue Hose are coming off their first Big South win on Saturday when they defeated Campbell, 65-59.
- Presbyterian trailed Campbell by 11 points in the second half before making the comeback. The Blue Hose outscored Campbell 39-24 in the second half including 20-10 in the fourth period.
- Kacie Hall (23) and Cortney Storey (20) each scored 20+ points in the effort. It was the first time since February 23, 2013 when Dria David and Karlee Taylor each scored 20 in a 71-69 win over High Point.
- The 23 points was a career high for Hall and the 20 points was Storey’s sixth 20-point effort of the season. The Blue Hose have now had seven 20-point efforts this season.
Blue Hose Offensive Notes
- PC is averaging 57.7 points per game this season on 37.3 percent shooting from the field, 32.0 percent from three and a Big South leading 75.8 percent from the charity stripe.
- The Blue Hose average a Big South leading 8.3 three-point makes per game, they have four of the top 25 individual leaders in three-point makes per game. Miles is sixth in the Big South with 2.0 followed by Kacie Hall (1.7) at ninth, Macee Tamminen (1.3) in 18th place and Storey (1.1) is 24th.
- At the halfway mark of the season and PC has already made the eighth most threes in a single season during the Division I era at 124. The record of 230 was set last season and there are at least 15 games left this season.
- The 32.0 percent from three is the second highest rate in program history. The record of 38.0 percent was done in 2012-13, a season it only shot 366 threes compared to already having taken 387 threes this season.
- The Blue Hose rank in the top 50 nationally in two categories, free throw percentage (75.8) is 25th and made three-point baskets (8.3) is 42nd.
- The Blue Hose have improved in free throw percentage each of the last four seasons, 68.2 in ‘14-15, 72.7 in ‘15-16, 74.9 in ‘16-17 and 75.8 this season.
- PC has overcome 10-plus point deficits to win two of its four games. It was down 14 in the win over Furman and most recently an 11-point deficit in the win over Campbell.
- When PC scored 83 points at USC Upstate it tied the ninth most points in a single game with the 83 scored vs Truett-McConnell on 12/16/13.
- Two of the top 10 performances in made three-pointers have come this season, it tied the record of 15 vs Furman on 12/30/17 and then made 13 which is tied-fourth vs Liberty 1/2/18. The Blue Hose would also set the record for three-point percentage in a game with at least 10 makes when they went 11-18, a 61.1 percent clip at USC Upstate.
- The Blue Hose set a new record for made free throws in a game when they went 30-34 vs North Carolina Central.
- Hall scored 23 points on 9-15 shooting and 4-7 from three on Saturday vs Campbell. The nine made field goals were a career high.
- Storey set a PC individual record for made free throws with 17 vs NC Central, the previous record had been 11. She also tied her personal high and school record with 27 points at USC Upstate.
- Ericka Blackwell-Boyden scored a career high 15 points versus UNCG (12/21) on 70.0 percent shooting from the field.
- In a two game stretch at Upstate and at Chattanooga Miles scored 33 points, her second best two game stretch. Her best was 35 at NC Central and at Campbell her freshman season.
- Riley Hemm in her lone start of the season scored 12 points with five rebounds and two assists versus NC Central (12/17) all three figures are career highs.
- Freshmen have recorded seven double figure scoring efforts this season led by Tamminen’s three. Five different freshmen have contributed a game with 10+ points.
- The highest scoring individual game by a freshman is the 19 points that Tess Santos scored vs Liberty.
- Mattie Kennedy with 13 vs Kennesaw State, Briley Buckner with 11 at Duke, Kiara Jackson’s 10 at HPU and Tamminen’s 15, 13 and 11 all in a row vs Furman, Liberty and Longwood make up the other six.
1,000 Point Scorers
- Storey surpassed the 1,000-point mark in the NC Central game when she scored on a fast break lay-up. She became the third member of the Division I era of PC basketball to reach 1,000 points and number 111 in Big South history including the fourth to do it this season. She currently sits at 1,105 points following the Campbell game.
- Miles is next in line for the Blue Hose as she now has 921 points following the Campbell game. If she keeps up her 8.9 points per game pace she should reach 1,000 points around mid-February becoming the fourth member of the PC Division I 1,000-point club.
- Currently six Big South players have reached 1,000 points this season, including Storey and five more are within range of reaching that milestone this season, including Miles.
Storey Setting Records
- Storey is averaging career highs in a points with 15.3 and assists 5.2 per game this season. She has surpassed the 1,000-point mark (1,105) and 400 assists plateau (424) and needs just 13 steals to reach 200 for her career.
- Storey is currently third in the Big South in scoring (15.3), fifth in steals (1.7) and leads the league in assists (5.2), free throw percentage (82.9) and minutes per game (38.5).
- Nationally Storey is ranked seventh in minutes per game (38.5) and number 50th in assists per game (5.2).
Miles Having Career Year
- Miles is having her best season statistically in a number of categories: Minutes per game (30.5), three-point percentage (41.1), free-throw percentage (75.0), rebounds (3.5) is tied for her highest, assists (2.3).
- She is fifth in PC DI era points and 55 shy of Dria David for fourth place and 79 shy of 1,000.
- Miles has made 161 three-pointers which is second in the Division I era, she is 103 behind Karlee Taylor’s first place 264 made threes. She has a career .359 three-point percentage which is fifth.
- Miles is tied with Shereece Smith for seventh in career assists with 177 and tied with Karlee Taylor at 1.6 assists per game which is also eighth. Her 123 career steals are fourth, 19 behind Aianna Kelly for third.
- Miles’ 41.1 three-point percentage this season is tied for the fourth highest single season average and is third in the Big South this season.
Storey Named Preseason All-Conference
- Senior PG Storey has been named to 2017-18 Big South Preseason All-Conference team. She was the 2014-15 Freshman of the Year, 2015-16 Big South Honorable Mention and 2016-17 Big South Second Team honoree.
- Storey is the first preseason honoree since Karlee Taylor in 2013-14.
Blue Hose Go for 10+ Again
- PC enters this season with three straight 10+ win Big South campaigns. The Blue Hose have achieved that feat four of the last five seasons overall.
- Overall they have won 10+ conference games in 13 of the last 30 seasons with nine coming as members of the South Atlantic Conference and four in the Big South.
Scouting the Runnin’ Bulldogs
- The Runnin’ Bulldogs are 12-4 on the season including 2-2 in the Big South. They are coming off an 85-60 loss to the Liberty Flames on Saturday afternoon.
- Gardner-Webb scored 66.1 points per game while shooting 41.3 percent and 33.5 percent from beyond the arc. It surrenders 60.0 points on 35.6 percent shooting and 25.1 percent from three.
- GWU grabs 39.6 rebounds per game and assists on 11.8 made shots while stealing 7.4 balls and 3.5 blocks.
- The Runnin’ Bulldogs are led by three players averaging double figures led by Tierra Huntsman at 16.8, Alexus Hill at 14.9 and Savannah Plentovich at 10.1 points per game.
- Ky’Asia Stanford leads GWU in assists at 3.3 while Huntsman and Hill each average over 2.0 assists per game.
- Huntsman at 6.1, Hill and Plentovich at 5.5 and Celia Tibbs at 5.0 all average over five rebounds per game.
- Gardner-Webb is led by 14th year head coach Rick Reeves who has over 200 wins at Gardner-Webb and over 400 in his 30 years of head coaching experience.
Blue Hose vs the Runnin’ Bulldogs
- PC and Gardner-Webb have faced each other 48 times with PC leading 33-15 including having won three in a row.
- The Blue Hose defeated GWU 56-55 and 58-47 in last season’s two meetings. Janie Miles averaged 15.5 points in the two meetings.